Saturday, March 7, 2009

Welcome & Tutorial #1 - Decorating a Candle Using Stamped Images



Welcome all to the brand new blog of the
Roses on Paper Design Team!
This is going to be a tutorial and project blog to inspire you what you can do with your rubber stamps and all those wonderful products available in Summer's store
Roses on Paper
.
It's all about thinking out of the box and being creative.
Come and join us on our creative journey!

Ok to start this off I made a tutorial about decorating
a candle using stamped images.


Tutorial #1 - Decorating a Candle Using Stamped Images



Materials needed:

- stamp
- stamp pad
- candle
- tissue paper
- wax paper
- preferred coloring medium
- small scissors
- glue stick
- heat gun / embossing tool
- preferred embellishments

Some tips:
White or cream candles are best and also a good quality candle makes working in this technique much easier.
I prefer to use colored pencils and gamsol with this technique. But you can also use e.g. distress inks, markers, etc.
Sample for embellishments you can use: stickles glitter glue, adhesive pearls, dew drops, prima flowers, brads, ribbon, etc.





First choose your stamp (make sure it will fit on the candle!) and stamp your image on the tissue paper.
I used table top flowers from the Alota Easter collection available at Roses on Paper.
And as I only would like to use the vase with the flowers
I didn't ink my whole stamp.





Now get started and color your image!





Cut out as close as you can to your image without damaging it. Don't worry about any "left over" tissue, this will totally dissapear when put on the candle and heated.





If you like to put on a sentiment, some decorative swirls etc. stamp and color in the same way.
I decided to put a sentiment and both sides of the candle.
The sentiment I chose is also from the
Alota Easter collection.





Now arrange your images on the candle as you would like them to be. Don't forget to unwrap your candle! To make it easier for the tissue to stick to the candle I'm using a glue stick for help. Just a little so the images won't fall of.







In the next step you wrap your wax paper around the candle and make sure the images laying flat without any wrinkles. Cut your wax paper long enough so can use the excess on the back as handle to hold it really tight whilst heating! When heating make sure you have enough distance between the tool and the candle so the candle won't melt and ruin your project. Another tip is keep the tool in motion rather than only on one spot. The image will get real shiny and the colors will look more vibrant through the wax paper when it is done and fully submerged under a fine layer of wax. The edges of the tissue paper will fully dissapear in the wax.





This is what your candle looks like after all the images are heated and covered in a fine layer of wax.







The final step will be adding some finishing touches and your embellishments if desired. If you like to use brads for decoration it is very easy to push them into the candle as long as it is still warm from heating.





This is how my finished project looks like and also 2 more samples done in the same technique.













I hope you liked the tutorial and I could inspire you a little to try this wonderful technique!
Don't forget to check out Summers store for all your stamping needs.

If you have any question about this tutorial feel free to email me at

cocoacrafts@gmail.com

Wishing you all a great start in the week






23 comments:

Anki said...

Hej Iris! I will make sure that people see the your great tutorial! Kramisar - Anki

Summer... said...

Wow Iris! What a beeeautiful tutorial! I'm going to give it a go...one day very soon, promise!

Jodi said...

Wonderful tutorial Iris!!! We must show everyone your nice work!
Hugs,
Jodi =)

Susan said...

Great tutorial, Iris! I'll get one up this month. I think I've got just the stamp...

Hugs to you,

Susan

Kim Piggott said...

Such gorgeous candles and such a fab tutorial!
hugs
kim x

Lim said...

This is great Iris.. Thank you for taking the time to put this together for us and for all your pictures and explanations :))
I will give it a try too.
Hugs,
LIM

Peta said...

What a brilliant start to the blog Iris. Great tuturial and gorgeous candles. Peta x

Rosette said...

LOVELY tutorial Iris!! you're great!! I'll be too if I succeed to do it (the candle)!! hehe :))

Teresa said...

Ohhh..I love stamped candles! I tried these back at Christmas and they were much easier to do than I expected. What a great Tutorial, reminded me that I have a stash waiting to be altered. hugs,T

L.Nielsen (Lynda) said...

Iris, this is fantastic, and so easy to understand, I always wondered just HOW people did that, and I've read tutorial, but always seemed to complicated for me. This is PERFECT. I'm going to have to give this a try. Thanks for the Great inspiration.
Hugs
Lynda =)

Tonya said...

Fabulous tutorial. Thanks so much.

Hazel (Didos) said...

Brilliant Tutorial. WOw Just gonna go and try it out now. Hazelxo

Secret Dreams And Passions said...

Iris,
First of all, thank you for putting this tutorial together.. GREAT JOB!!! ;~))
I've seen plenty of these beautiful candles, and just wasn't sure how they were done... so I'm going to try to give it a whirl, and we will see what happens.
Your candle is also just so pretty, I don't think I could give it a way... guess I 'd have to make two or three!!
Denise from OHio
Phil4:13

j said...

Iris your candles are amazing !!!!!
It is so great to see the tutorial because so many don't know how to do them :-)
Thanks for visiting my blog :-)

Jean

Nancy Ward said...

Hi!

Yesterday I posted an entry on my blog with a link to this tutorial.

Would you let me know if that's OK?

Thanks,

Nancy Ward
http://paperfriendly.blogspot.com

debra said...

fantastic tutorial Iris i have been waiting for this one and can't wait to have a play.
hugs Debra

Terry said...

Wow it is just beautifull....I will read it once more and maybe I can try it too...thanks so much. hugs terry

Handmade by Vivi said...

great tutorial! i always wondered how to make stamped candles!
thanks so much for teaching!
hugs,
Vivi Casale

Roberta Laliberte said...

wowsers! Thanks for the awesome tutorial!

Prairie Fairy

Iren said...

What a lovely candles and what a lovely idea!!!

Julies Crafty Creations said...

I have seen a tutorial somewhere before on internet for doing this with candles but yours is far more informative and you have made some beautiful candles. Julie x

Nicki said...

I had always wondered how you got the images on candles, have seen several on blogs and they look totally fab, so i think im definitly gonna have to give this one a go, need some wax paper tho!
FAB tutorial, thanks
Nicki
x

Leah said...

This is an absolutely gorgeous way to use those gorgeous stamps. Will definitely be having a go at this one :) Thanks for sharing Iris!